Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Procrastination …




Psalm 90:12 "Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom" (NLT).
Why is it so easy to waste time? I have a list a mile long of things that I need to get done. I feel overwhelmed and rushed to accomplish all the things that need to be done in one 24-hour period (which really isn't 24 hours because we have to sleep). So how do I deal with all the things that need to be done? I get on the computer and play farm town or Christmas Crunch. I tell myself that I need to relax and wind-down just a bit before getting to the things that need to be done. My "just a bit", turns into hours… Then it's the rush to do the surface things so that it appears that I have done something with my day. Then more guilt sets in. When guilt sets, in it seems to paralyze us to where it becomes close to impossible to do anything more than wallow in our ineffectiveness. Wow!
But wait! … This is not how God wants us to be or react.

We are to make the most of the time that God has given to us.  We are to come quitely before God, listening to what he wants for us.  If we listen first, and then write out our to-do list, the day goes much easier. 

During this time of transition and not knowing what all the plans are, it's easy to get distracted and I find myslef running around like a crazy woman.  I was up in our home-office yesterday, trying to pack up books.  I came across Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life".  As I was thumbing through the pages, I felt God saying "You need to do this"  My first reaction was "I don't have the time!!  With all that I have on my plate... one more thing would be crazy!"   But then, it hit me.  This is a PERFECT time to go through this book.  

So... on with the adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment